HOME     ABOUT ME

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Melanzane al funghetto

Yesterday I told you about my trip to the farmer's market and all the produce I bought. With the tomatoes I made this dish also using eggplant from my garden.
This is what I picked from my garden after being gone for a week. The tomatoes are wonderful but the plants are all dead. Too much rain!

Anyways...what do you like to make with eggplant? Most people know about eggplant parmigiana. I never make that. It has melted cheese and I don't like melted cheese. But I *LOVE* this dish! It's pretty easy but not super good for you because the eggplant is fried. In oil.

Then drained on paper towels. When it's all done frying, remove most of the oil, leaving just a little bit in the bottom. Add a clove of garlic to the oil (I like to press mine in a garlic press but you can leave it whole and then remove it once it's lightly browned.)
Then add chopped fresh tomatoes. Canned will work in a pinch, but fresh is always best. Oops. The steam off the tomatoes messed up the picture. You get the idea...
Let the tomatoes cook about 10 mins, then add the eggplant back in and mix it all together gently. Add salt to taste and some fresh basil leaves. All done! Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate your thoughts and I thoroughly enjoy reading each one!